Have you ever had your house remodeled? Or spent time on a construction site? Or simply rearranged furniture in a room? Probably so, and you probably remember how dirty and dusty you and the area became. Now imagine these activities in a hospital setting where your loved one is recovering from a surgery or illness.
It’s not hard to imagine that without proper dust and dirt containment precautions, patients can easily be exposed to microbe carrying dust and dirt (yes, microbes use dust particles as flying-carpets as their primary means to get around). According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) one out of 25 hospital patients have an infection related to in-hospital care. By simple hand washing and other basic procedures by the hospital staff and visitors, 95% of these infections can be prevented. The remaining 5% of the infections are caused by environmental conditions such as maintenance and construction activities. Hospitals and other medical facilities have realized the need to develop formalized procedures and patient risk classifications to reduce construction/maintenance related infections. These procedures and patient risk classifications have evolved into an industry certification called ICRA (Infection Control Risk Infection).
ICRA defines a Construction Risk Assessment for hospital work, which is addressed proactively within a construction bid or prior to the beginning of the job (through the use of the Infection Control Construction Permit). Patient risks and the types of construction activities are evaluated to determine the severity condition of the potentially affected patients verses the scope of the construction activities to be performed. The patient risk groups and types of construction activities are categorized within the ICRA matrix, which was developed to give a healthcare and construction professional an objective means by which to determine, amongst other construction byproducts (noise, vibration, etc.), the degree of dust/dirt containment needed to protect the patients. Once this is known, the task of setting up the appropriate containment system is straightforward and patients are left to recover, unexposed and safe.
All of Massaro Corporation’s superintendents, project managers, and project engineers are either ICRA 8-hour or 24-hour certified. Now, we are pleased to announce that everyone on the Massaro Restoration Services team has earned ICRA Certification as well.